Professor of Computer Science
Marcello Pelillo is a Professor of Computer Science at the
University of Venice, Italy, where he directs the
European Centre for Living Technology
and leads the Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition group, which he founded in 1995.
He held visiting research positions at
Yale University (USA),
McGill University (Canada),
the University of Vienna (Austria),
York University (UK),
the University College London (UK), and the
National ICT Australia (NICTA) (Australia).
He serves (or has served) on the editorial boards of
IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence,
IET Computer Vision,
and is on the advisory board of the
International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics.
He has initiated several conferences series as Program Chair (EMMCVPR, IWCV, SIMBAD) and will serve as a General Chair for ICCV 2017.
He is (or has been) scientific coordinator of several research projects, including
SIMBAD, a highly successful EU-FP7 project devoted to similarity-based pattern analysis and recognition.
Prof. Pelillo has been elected a Fellow of the IEEE
and a Fellow of the IAPR, and
has been appointed IEEE Distinguished Lecturer (2016-2017 term).
His Erdös number is 2.
For more information:
- 19/09/16: Tutorial on "Machine learning meets philosophy: From epistemology to ethics" at
ECML-PKDD 2016, Riva del Garda, Italy
- 16/09/16: The ICCV 2017 website is online!
- 16/09/16: Invited talk at
SIMAI 2016 Minisynposium on Learning, games and optimization, Milan, Italy
- 07/08/16: Tutorial on "Game theory and natural language: Origin, evolution and processing" at
ACL 2016, Berlin, Germany
- 01/08/16: New ECCV 2016 paper on
"Interactive image segmentation using constrained dominant sets" (Read the arXiv version)
- 21/07/16: Invited talk at the
Italian Institute of Technology, Genoa, Italy
- 11/07/16: Tutorial at
ICMLC 2016, Jeju Island, South Korea
- 08/07/16: Invited talk at the
IEEE SMC Celebrity Lecture Series 2016, Chengdu, China
- 04/07/16: Invited talk at the
Department of Information Engineering,
University of Padua, Italy
- 24/06/16: New Computational Linguistics paper on
"A game-theoretic approach to word sense disambiguation" (Read the arXiv version)
- 17/06/16: Invited talk at the
Department of Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence,
University of Granada, Spain
- 08/06/16: The SINS 2016 workshop has started
- 20/05/16: Our special section of IEEE TNNLS
on "Learning in non-(geo)metric spaces" has just been published
- 18/04/16: Invited talk at the
Polytechnic University of Milan, Italy
- 11/04/16: Invited talk at
ZHAW Data Science Laboratory, Winterthur, Switzerland
- 23/03/16: New IET Computer Vision paper on
"Multi-object tracking using dominant sets"
- 29/02/16: Area Chair for "Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition" track at
ICPR 2016 (Cancún, México, December 2016)
- 26/01/16: Nominated Member of the Management Committee of COST Action NEUBIAS A New Network of European BioImage Analysts to Advance Life Science Imaging
- 01/01/16: Appointed IEEE Distinguished Lecturer (2016-2017 term)
- 15/12/15: Co-organizer of SINS 2016: Social Impact through Network Science, June 8-10, 2016, Venice, Italy
- 02/12/15: Invited talk at L'intelligence incontra l'università, Venice, Italy
- 17/10/15: Invited talk at Fondazione culturale Niels Stensen, Florence, Italy
- 15/10/15: New PRL paper on
"Pattern recognition between science and engineering: A red herring?"
- 06/10/15: The Proceedings of
SIMBAD 2015 are on line
- 01/10/15: New CVIU paper on
"Detecting conversational groups in images and sequences: A robust game-theoretic approach"
- 17/07/15: Awarded $100,000 from the Samsung Global Research Outreach (GRO) program
- 02/07/15: Invited talk at the Institute of Neural Information Processing of Ulm University
- 29/05/15: ECLT talk on "Revealing structure in large graphs: Szemeredi's regularity lemma and its use in pattern recognition"
- 26/05/15: Invited talk at DeeL@BICI: Deep Learning Workshop (Bertinoro, Italy, May 2015)
Università "Ca' Foscari" Venezia /