Professor of Computer Science
Marcello Pelillo is a Professor of Computer Science at the
University of Venice, Italy, where he directs the
European Centre for Living Technology
and leads the Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition group, which he founded in 1995.
He held visiting research positions at
Yale University (USA),
McGill University (Canada),
the University of Vienna (Austria),
York University (UK),
the University College London (UK), and the
National ICT Australia (NICTA) (Australia).
He serves (or has served) on the editorial boards of
IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence,
IET Computer Vision,
and is on the advisory board of the
International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics.
He has initiated several conferences series as Program Chair (EMMCVPR, IWCV, SIMBAD) and will serve as a General Chair for ICCV 2017.
He is (or has been) scientific coordinator of several research projects, including
SIMBAD, a highly successful EU-FP7 project devoted to similarity-based pattern analysis and recognition.
Prof. Pelillo has been elected a Fellow of the IEEE
and a Fellow of the IAPR, and
has been appointed IEEE Distinguished Lecturer (2016-2017 term).
His Erdös number is 2.
For more information:
- 23/10/18: Invited speaker at
Huawei Video Intelligence Forum, Dublin, Ireland
(watch video summary)
- 29/09/18: Invited speaker at
Trieste Next: Festival della Ricerca Scientifica, Trieste, Italy
- 20/09/18: Invited speaker at
ANNPR 2018, Siena, Italy
- 06/09/18: Keynote speaker at the
3rd COST Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Industry and Finance, Winterthur, Switzerland
- 03/09/18: New H2020 project on "A European AI on Demand Platform and Ecosystem"
- 23/07/18: Visiting City University of Hong Kong, China
- 02/06/18: Visiting Wuhan University, China
- 18/05/18: Plenary speaker at
NET 2018, Moscow, Russia
- 13/04/18: Invited talk at
Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
- 10/04/18: Four papers and a contest accepted at ICPR 2018
- 25/03/18: Visiting South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China
- 17/03/18: Talk at
Philosophy of Machine Learning: Knowledge and Causality, Irvine, CA
- 08/03/18: Invited speaker at
VINEPA 2018, Reggio Calabria, Italy
- 20/02/18: Our paper "DOTA: A large-scale dataset for object detection in aerial images" accepted at
- 15/02/18: Interview at La Stampa
- 18/12/17: Panelist at
Nexa / CINI Conference on "Ethics and Governance of Artificial Intelligence", Turin, Italy
- 05/12/17: Area Chair for
ECCV 2018, Munich, Germany
- 21/10/17: Interview at Radio Rai 1
- 14/09/17: Invited speaker at
GCPR 2017, Basel, Switzerland
- 05/08/17: Interview at Radio24
- 20/06/17: Tutorial and invited speaker at
IbPRIA 2017, Faro, Portugal
- 13/05/17: Visiting Wuhan University, China
- 01/04/17: Celebrating the 20th anniversary of a memorable conference: EMMCVPR is back in Venice!
- 01/04/17: Samsung project on Hume-Nash Machines has been renewed for one more year
- 28/03/17: An (invited) review paper on dominant-set clustering has just been published in the
European Journal of Operational Research
- 07/03/17: Invited talk at
B-Debate -- Artificial Intelligence: Dreams, Risks, and Reality, Barcelona, Spain
- 20/02/17: Invited talk at the
Department of Engineering and Architecture,
University of Parma, Italy
- 19/01/17: Invited talk at
Xerox Research Centre Europe, Grenoble, France
Università "Ca' Foscari" Venezia /